Monday, April 27, 2009

LEGAL CAPACITY OF A MARRIED WOMAN IN ISLAM

Remember the article I wrote about honour killing in Pakistan? Well, I came across this book by Dr Liaquat Ali Khan Niazi (a Pakistani scholar) and he wrote about legal capacity of a married woman in Islam (which I’ve reproduced here for all to share).


A woman does not lose her individuality on her marriage. She acts in all matters regarding herself and her property in her own right, without the intervention of husband and father. By entering the married state, a woman does not lose any of the rights which she possesses as an individual member of society. She is still free to carry on any work she likes, to make any contract she desires, to dispose of her property as she wishes, however, her individuality does not merge in that of her husband.


Therefore, all misconceptions about Muslim women being second class citizens need to be corrected, as in Islam, such things do not exist. What exists is the mutual relation of husband and wife as described in the Holy Quran as one of a single soul in two bodies :


(Quran, 7:189)

“He it is who created you from a single being and of the same did He make his mate that he might find comfort in her”

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sweet Child,

    I was amazed when I first came across your blog. Coming from Malaysia myself, this is the first time I see a lady having a blog on Islam and Finance.

    The reason why I say this is because most scholars in the field of Islamic finance are male and it is rare to see a female like you who believes on Islamic finance so much to really pen down your thoughts - this is very refreshing.

    I am a medical doctor and do not know much about Islamic finance, but your articles/postings have really changed my perspective on Islam. Keep on writing!!!!

    P/s - Good luck for your coming exams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Aiman,

    Noticed that you are a new follower to my blog - thank you.

    That is the main intent of this blog --> to spread Islamic finance knowledge to all. At the same time, to correct all the misconceptions about Islam.

    Again, thank you for the wish on my coming exams, I really appreciate it. I sincerely hope that you enjoy my postings and continue to read my future postings.

    ReplyDelete